Friday, June 20, 2008

Welcome to Life in the Land of the Frozen Chozen! So far, it has been a rather cool June. Cool in temperatures, that is. I am 2nd counselor in the Young Women, and my Beehives wanted to plant a garden. So we just did that 3 days ago (June 17). We planted 4 different kinds of Lettuce, zucchini, pumpkin, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. 2 different kinds of peas, green beans, cucumbers, strawberries, yellow zucchini, potatoes, carrots, and radishes. Whew! Anyway, we'll see how much of it actually grows, especially since it's so late in the year and it's been rather cool-ish. We built the raised beds 3 weeks ago, and filled them with dirt. I have to admit that it's rather nice having 12 and 13 year olds for slave labor! We are applying this particular project to our Personal Progress. It's one of the 10 hour projects. Things certainly have changed since I was in Young Women! But I do love the calling, the youth, and the leaders that I work with. I am learning a lot! Last weekend, I ran/walked a 5 miler called "The Women's Run" with a friend of mine. We had to donate money to participate, and the money went towards breast cancer research. We finished it in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Next year, I'm shooting for under 1 hour. We finished just in time, though. When we got to the car, it started pouring rain. Next weekend is "Arctic Thunder", which is the air show up here on the Air Force base. The Thunderbirds are going to be participating this year. Last time, it was the Blue Angels. This year also marks 50 years of statehood for Alaska. It should be a GREAT show, that's for sure! Lots of celebrating going on. Summer Solstice is here, and now we start to lose daylight. It's a rather depressing time of year, believe it or not. Summer just started, and we're already on the way to winter! Oh, well. That's why we always seize every opportunity to get out and enjoy the summer. It certainly doesn't last forever. 3 months...4 if we're lucky. Not this year, though! I hope to see you all soon!

3 comments:

Tony & Rochelle said...

Hey! Where did you plant the garden? At your house? How handy to have YW to do a bunch of the work! Maybe I should "request" a calling in YW!?

There are lots of picturesque scenes out here in the Valley for you to take pics of to post on your blog. *hint, hint*!

Meg said...

Analee!! Welcome to the blogging world. It is kind-of fun and quite addicting. I'm excited to be able to see what you're up to. Sounds like you're having fun.

We planted a little garden this year. I don't have too many hopes of getting much, though. It looks like most of the plants didn't come up. We got a whole bunch of rain after we planted and I think it washed everything out. Oh, well, the process is fun, anyway. I'm sure it will be a good learning experience for your young women.

Brooke S said...

Hey Ray,
Hope you have fun blogging.. Warning blogging it addicting..
Miss Ya,