Thursday, June 26, 2008

So, I was addressing some envelopes today to go out to some patients. I realized that there are some seriously interesting names of cities/towns/villages/etc... up here. One of them today was Quinhagak. We also have a patient in Egegik (one of my favorite ones to say). Then there's always Unalaska (WHAT?!), Unalakleet, and Yakutat. So, I was thinking of all the ones that I COULDN'T pronounce. So I googled "Alaska Cities" yeah...let's just say that this is one cool state! Besides the interesting and unpronounceable names of living spaces, I was on my way home from work and saw a young man on a bike with a fishing pole on his back. Seriously, where else are you going to see something like that? Alaska is the type of place where you see people doing some salmon fishing on their lunch break downtown. They catch reds, silvers, pinks, AND kings all summer long. Ship Creek goes right through downtown, so people who work down there go fishing during lunch. Also, moose walk down the middle of the street like there's no other place they should be. After 10 years up here, I still get fascinated by it! It is truly an AWESOME spectacle!!! We also get Beluga Whales in cook inlet, sometimes we even see a gray whale or a harbor seal!!! I do love summer...it's when everything comes to life!!! Of course, we're still having cool-ish temperatures, so the seeds in my garden aren't really comming to life. In fact, they're sitting there going "OK, we're in dirt...what now?" Oh another thing about Alaska...nowhere else could you use a toilet as a flower planter and get away with it! I re-did my bathroom 2 years ago, and when I replaced the toilet, I didn't know how to dispose of the old one. So, some of my friends talked me into using it as a flower planter. I'm displaying some pictures so you can see. Sadly, a big piece of it fell off over the winter, so now there's a blemish on the front. I don't know if a moose kicked it, or if it froze. But I decided to plant some trailing flowers in it this year to see if they will grow over it. Not much growth right now, though....coolish temperatures and all that! Well, I hope all is well with everyone, and that everyone is enjoying their summer. I'm sure it will be over before we know it. Until next time...

2 comments:

Meg said...

Do you have any idea how much you're making me miss AK? I love that place. Not that I dislike my current home, but nothing really compares to Alaska.

Sierra said...

How do you say some of those??!!! Good grief, are you sure you spelled them right?